Wasn’t sure what to do as a post today, but didn’t want the day to pass without remembering my Great Grandfather
Henry Campbell was the eldest son of William Campbell of Desertcreat, Tullyhogue, Cookstown, County Tyrone. He enlisted (2nd Battalion, Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers (British Army)) in Cookstown just after the outbreak of war. The Battalion arrived in France on 22nd August 1914 and William joined them later after his initial training had taken place. He died from wounds at Rouen on 7th March 1915 and is interred in Plot A, Row 5, Grave 7 at St. Sever Cemetery, France. He is is commemorated on Desertcreat Parish Church Roll of Honour and on Cookstown Cenotaph.
But I didn’t just want to mention Henry, whose past I am still researching, but also I wanted to remember the eight men who lived on the street where I currently live who also perished during WW1.
PERCY RICHARD HOLMAN
Service No: 63694
Date of Death: 29/11/1917
Regiment/Service: Royal Fusiliers 20th Bn.
Grave Reference: VIII. A. 27.
Cemetery: DOCHY FARM NEW BRITISH CEMETERY
Home Address: 10, Longhurst Rd., Lewisham, London.
Percy was born in Marylebone around July 1881. He was the third of four surviving children born to Richard Albert Holman (1849-1933) and Emily Matilda Dowles (1852-1939).
His siblings were: Albert (1876-19??), Edith (1880-1979), and Louis (1844-1966).
Father Richard and mother Emily were both London – Marylebone – born and breed.
They were married in Marylebone during 1874 and lived at 98 George Street in Maryebone (1881 Census) before moving to Camberwell (1891 Census). During these years Richard is listed as a Cabinet Maker by profession.
According to the 1901 Census the family were living – along with Emily’s mother Elizabeth – at 13a Nutbrook St, Camberwell. By 1911 Elizabeth had died and the family had moved to Longhurst Road, Hither Green. In 1901 Richard is listed as being a Surveyor, though the 1911 census has him as a Clerk for a Surveyor. Percy is listed as a Clerk in both, but as one in the Perfume trade in 1911. Older sister Emily is listed in the 1911 census as being a Confectioners manageress.
Percy was killed in action in November 1917, aged 35, and buried. He was later exhumed from that original burial location and reburied in Dochy Farm war cemetery. Dochy Farm New British Cemetery is located 7 kilometres north-east of Ieper town centre on the Zonnebekestraat, a road leading from the Zonnebeekseweg (N332) connecting Ieper to Zonnebeke. Two roads connect Ieper town centre onto the Zonnebeekseweg. Dochy Farm, which had become a German strong point, was taken by the 4th New Zealand Brigade on 4 October 1917, in the Battle of Broodseinde. The cemetery was made after the Armistice when isolated graves were brought in from the battlefields of Boesinghe, St. Julien, Frezenberg and Passchendaele.
Percy is listed on the Church of the Good Shepherd WW1 War Memorial. The memorial consisted of a new altar, choir stalls and pulpit in plain oak and a roll of honour caved in oak, with inlays of ebony and mother-of–pearl and was dedicated by Dr. Hough, Bishop of Woolwich, on Friday evening, April 22, 1921. The inscription read: In memory of the men of this parish who gave their lives for their country in the Great War, 1914—1918. The Church was destroyed by fire in 1941 and was rebuilt in 1957.
HERBERT FREDERICK ARTHUR
Service No: 393263
Date of Death: 28/03/1918
Regiment/Service: London Regiment (Queen Victoria’s Rifles) 1st/9th Bn. [Formerly 878, 25Th London Regt.]
Panel Reference:Panel 87 and 88.
Memorial: POZIERES MEMORIAL
Son of Herbert Charles and Alice Arthur, of 89, Longhurst Rd., Lewisham, London.
Herbert (Bert) was born in Peckham 26 May 1889. He was the first of six surviving children born to Herbert Charles Arthur (1869-1919) and Alice Collins (1869-19??) They Married on 4 November 1888 at St Giles, Camberwell.
His siblings were: Leonard, Albert, Percy, John (1904-1953), and Frank.
In 1891 the Herbert and Alice where living in Edric Road, New Cross Gate/Depford. Herbert was working as a clerk.
1 September 1896 Bert (Aged 7) – and brother Leonard (aged 6) were enrolled in Colls Road School. It opened in 1885 [Renamed Collingwood Secondary School in 1951, it amalgamated with Samuel Pepys School in 1982 to form Hatcham Wood School] The Family were living at 116 Asylum Road, Peckam at the time.
In 1901 the family had moved to Rye Lane, Camberwell. Herbert was now working as a salesman for a lamp/electrical lighting manufacturer – a profession he also held in 1911, when they had moved to 4a Fernbrook Road, just around the corner from Longhust Road where they’d be at the time of Bert’s death. At this time, Bert was working as a commercial clerk at publishers. Younger brother Leonard was also similarly employed whilst other brother Albert was a clerk at a fruit merchants.
Bert’s grave record
Bert is listed on the Ennersdale School (now Trinity) WW1 War Memorial. It is a Wall mounted tablet with inscription and names with the inscription: In Proud Memory Of Our Brave Brothers Who Made The Supreme Sacrifice In The Great War. The tablet was unveiled by Professors Lazarus-Barlow on Tuesday, May 10 1921 in the presence of many old boys, parents and friends.
Bert Left £110 in his Mother.
His father Herbert would die 18 month later, on 27 November 1919, at 48 Vanburgh Hill, Greenwich. He left £115 to his widow Alice.
EDWARD G. STANLEY
REGIMENT: LONDON REGIMENT (CITY OF LONDON RIFLES) 6513. 1st/6th Bn.
DATE OF DEATH: 22-10-1916
BURIED AT: YPRES (MENIN GATE) MEMORIAL
According to the information from the Commonwealth War Graves Commission Edward was:
Son of Emma ‘Esther’ Stanley, of 39, Longhurst Rd., Lewisham, London, and the late William Henry Stanley
Edward was born in South Hackney between April 4th and October 21st 1894.
He was the second of four children born to William Henry Stanley (1866) and Esther Emma Stubbs (1868).
His siblings were: Ernest (1893), Ada (1897/8) and Lilian (1903).
Father William was originally from Ramsgate. He started out as a groom before becoming a Coachman/Omnibus driver. He died 20 December 1921, at Longhurst Road [So, not sure how he could be the ‘late’ WH Stanley the CWGC refer too when his son died in 1916?]
Mother Esther Emma (1868) was originally from Nevendon/Billericay, Essex.
They were married 4th June 1893 at St Faith’s church, Stoke Newington. The Church was built on Londesborough Road twenty years before in 1873. The church would be badly damaged by bombing during the Second World War (in 1944), and finally abandoned and demolished in 1949.
According to 1901 Census the family were living at 4 Victoria Grove, Hackney.
By the 1911 Census the family had moved to 41 Abernethy Rd, Lee., just five minutes from where they’d be in 1916.
Stanley was listed on the Holy Trinity WW1 War Memorial, in honour of local church goers who had died in the war. The unveiling and dedication of the War Memorial took place on Sunday evening, November 4, 1923. The ceremony was performed by the Bishop of Woolwich (Dr. Hough). Holy Trinity Church was in Glenton Road, Lee. It was in use until 1948 and was demolished in 1960.
CHARLES HENRY DAWE
Rank: Leading Signalman
Service No: J/10018
Date of Death: 21/07/1917
Regiment/Service: Royal Navy H.M. S/M. “C34.”
Panel Reference: 21.
Memorial: PLYMOUTH NAVAL MEMORIAL
Son of William Dawe, of Osmington, Weymouth; husband of Violet Eva Dawe, of 125, Longhurst Rd., Lewisham, London.
Charles was born in Osmington, Dorset in 1895. He was the third of four children born to William and Annie Dawe
His siblings were: William Guppy (1891-?) Lilian Lousia (1893-1979), and Dorothy (1844-1966).
Father William was from Beaminster, Dorset and mother Annie from Stratton Arxley, Oxfordshire. They married in 1889.
William and Annie were living in Osmington near Weymouth in Dorset in 1891 and by 1901 they had moved to nearby Poxwell, where they remained in 1911. William was a farm labourer.
Charles married Violet Eva ?? before the war.
Charles was lost at sea, following the sinking of the Submarine he was on. He was aboard HMS C34, a Group 2 C Class submarine built before the First World War, which were the final evolution in the Royal Navy of the original Holland design. The C Class featured innovations such as forward hydroplanes, but lacked even a proper toilet for her crew. C34 was the last C Class submarine built at Chatham. According to the Kent History Forum, HMS C34 was laid down on No 7 slip on 29th March 1909. She was launched into the Medway by Mrs Ommanney, wife of the Admiral Superintendant at Chatham, Rear-Admiral Robert Ommanney on 8th June 1910. After fitting out, she commissioned at Chatham on 17th September 1910. HMS C34 was with the 4th Submarine Flotilla at Dover at the outbreak of WW1, with HMS Arrogant as her depot ship, employed on patrols in the English Channel. By July 1915, she had moved to Harwich and was employed on ‘U-Boat Trap’ patrols in the North Sea. The U-Boat Trap was an attempt to disrupt U-Boats then causing mayhem in the North Sea. It worked by having a bait vessel, usually an armed trawler, towing a submerged submarine. When challenged by a U-Boat, the trawler would transmit orders to the submarine which would slip its tow and attempt to torpedo the U-Boat. This method did have some success, but after the loss of 2 C Class submarines, including the Chatham Built C33, it was abandoned. On 24th July 1917, HMS C34 was caught on the surface off Fair Isle in Shetland by U-52 and was sunk by gunfire. There was only one survivor, Leading Rating John Capes, who was rescued by U-52 and spent the rest of the war in a German POW camp.
Charles is listed on the Church of the Good Shepherd WW1 War Memorial. The memorial consisted of a new altar, choir stalls and pulpit in plain oak and a roll of honour caved in oak, with inlays of ebony and mother-of–pearl and was dedicated by Dr. Hough, Bishop of Woolwich, on Friday evening, April 22, 1921. The inscription read: In memory of the men of this parish who gave their lives for their country in the Great War, 1914—1918. The Church was destroyed by fire in 1941 and was rebuilt in 1957.
Rank: Lance Corporal
Service No: 51239
Date of Death: 08/03/1918
Regiment/Service: Royal Fusiliers No.3 Coy. 13th Bn.
Panel Reference: Panel 28 to 30 and 162 to 162A and 163A.
Memorial: TYNE COT MEMORIAL
Son of Mrs. Elizabeth R. Miles, of 84, Longhurst Rd., Lewisham, London.
Commonwealth War Graves Commission
Service No: 17290
Date of Death: 16/08/1916
Regiment/Service: Machine Gun Corps (Infantry) 9th Coy.
Grave Reference: XXXIII. H. 4.
Cemetery: SERRE ROAD CEMETERY No.2
Son of Walter Charles Mathews, of 50, Longhurst Rd., Lewisham, London.
Commonwealth War Graves Commission
E J HEATH
Service No: 940057
Date of Death: 08/12/1917
Regiment/Service: Royal Field Artillery “D” Bty. 281st Bde.
Awards: M M
Grave Reference: III. G. 27.
Cemetery: H.A.C. CEMETERY, ECOUST-ST. MEIN
Husband of Elizabeth Heath, of 106, Longhurst Rd., Lewisham, London. Native of Lewisham.
1891 Census, Ernest, then just 14, is listed as being a draper’s apprentice along with over twenty other boys at Lowndes Terraces, Knightsbridge. This was on the south side of Knightsbridge east of Sloane Square. According to British History Online, before 1903 the buildings along this side of Knightsbridge (then generally called Knightsbridge Road) were numbered under the names St George’s Place and Lowndes Terrace. St George’s Place extended from St George’s Hospital as far as William Street, Lowndes Terrace occupying the remainder of the frontage up to Sloane Street. (A small part of St George’s Place at its west end was known until 1860 as Knightsbridge Terrace.) In 1903 both these names were abolished and the buildings renumbered as part of Knightsbridge.
He married Elizabeth Wright
Ernest died in action.
Ernest is listed on the Church of the Good Shepherd WW1 War Memorial. The memorial consisted of a new altar, choir stalls and pulpit in plain oak and a roll of honour caved in oak, with inlays of ebony and mother-of–pearl and was dedicated by Dr. Hough, Bishop of Woolwich, on Friday evening, April 22, 1921. The inscription read: In memory of the men of this parish who gave their lives for their country in the Great War, 1914—1918. The Church was destroyed by fire in 1941 and was rebuilt in 1957.
FREDERICK EDWARD CROWHURST
Service No: 242059
Date of Death: 31/12/1917
Regiment/Service: Lincolnshire Regiment 2nd/5th Bn.
Cemetery: BERLENCOURT (LE CAUROY) COMMUNAL CEMETERY
Son of Frederick and Julia Crowhurst, of 23, Longhurst Rd., Lewisham, London.
Frederick was born in early 1898, to Frederick Crowhurst (1853-??) and Julia Roberts (1863-??). He was the second of two surviving children. He had an elder sister Violet Gertrude (1890-1972).
The family lived at 18 Amersham Vale, New Cross, at the time of birth.
He was baptised on 10 Mar 1898.
Father Richard was from Meopham and mother Julia from Sittingbourne. Both in Kent.
By 1901 the family were living at 20 Beacon Road, Hither Green. Frederick senior is listed as a general labourer at this time.
By 1911 the family had moved to 14 Elthruda Road, Hither Green. Frederick senior was still a labourer in the building trade. Sister Gertude (now listed as Inez G) worked as a clerk for theatrical costumiers
Berlencourt (Le Cauroy) Communal Cemetery contains four Commonwealth burials of the First World War.
[Death date listed as 9 January 1918 in Grave Registration Reports]